Monday, September 11, 2017

Vacation Day at Reifel

I had a golf outing later in the day, so I decided to go birding at Reifel in the morning. There had been a very rare bird seen (a Curlew Sandpiper) on the weekend which I hoped to see. No luck with that one, but my first bird of the day was a good consolation prize.

The Stilt Sandpiper is uncommon here, but it seems one or two show up in Fall migration each year. As I headed out along the west dyke trail, I came across some birders who were looking at one. It's the bird in the back with the head turned backwards.


Stilt Sandpiper - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC - 2017 Bird #196

At this time of year there are many Yellowlegs at Reifel. Most of them are Greater Yellowlegs, but there's usually a few Lesser as well. I believe these are all Greater.


Greater Yellowlegs - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

It's not unusual to see Sandhill Cranes at Reifel, but it's a treat to see them flying overhead.


Sandhill Crane - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

Finally, there were some Long-billed Dowitchers fairly close in the House Pond.


Long-billed Dowitcher - Reifel Bird Sanctuary, Delta BC

It was time to head to Pitt Meadows for golf.

No comments:

Post a Comment