Sunday, November 12, 2017

November 12 - Good Luck at Point Roberts

After the bad luck of losing my binoculars the previous day, I was owed a break. It came on this very short visit to Point Roberts.

The day started with a couple of good looks at a Steller Sea Lion quite close to shore.


Steller Sea Lion - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

If one wasn't good enough, how about two?


Steller Sea Lion - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I was situated right at the lighthouse beacon when I noticed some movement nearby. It was a Snow Bunting within 10 ft. of my location. I snapped off a few shots, this is an adult in non-breeding plumage. When breeding, they are predominately white with black on the wings. But you have to go quite far north to see them like that.

There had been reports of Snow Buntings on the Tsawwassen Ferry jetty, but none at Point Roberts. My find made it onto the BC Rare Bird Alert.


Snow Bunting - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA - 2017 Bird #211

A more common bird at this location is the Common Loon.


Common Loon - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA

I spotted another Sea Lion and snapped this picture below. I had noticed a bird flying by when I took the photo but it was long gone by the time I finished. I forgot about it until I downloaded the picture. But, I could not identify the bird. I sent it to the woman who operates the Rare Bird  Alert and she came back with Long-tailed Duck. Much head slapping ensued. This is a bird I should have known, having seen them here before.


Steller Sea Lion and Long-tailed Duck - Lighthouse Marine Park, Point Roberts WA
2017 Bird # 212

I left the Point , but still had the Monday on the long weekend to find more birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment