Sunday, December 10, 2017

December 10 Part 3 - North Delta Woodpecker

I got home in the mid-afternoon and had some birding luck shortly after I arrived.

Our house is reverse plan with the living room looking out into our backyard and Burns Bog in the distance. There's quite a drop off in the backyard, so we're actually looking into the tree tops in our yard.

On this day there happened to be a Pileated Woodpecker in plain view and I was able to get some shots with both of my cameras. The first few shots were through double-pane glass and I realized they were not good enough for the view I was being offered. I quietly opened the side window and removed the screen.

This shot was taken with my Canon SLR using the 400 mm lens and represents quite well what my eyes were seeing.


Pileated Woodpecker - Backyard, North Delta BC

The next two shots were taken with the Nikon P900C super zoom using Bird-watching mode. The colours are quite different, but the overall effect is quite interesting.

Pileated Woodpecker - Backyard, North Delta BC


This next one is with the Nikon zoomed in, only minimal cropping was done for this post.

Pileated Woodpecker - Backyard, North Delta BC

This was the end of a good day of birding, time to start thinking about Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment