Sunday, October 15, 2017

October 15 - Iona Jetty visitor

The bird alerts had reports of both Snow Buntings and Horned Larks being seen at various locations on the Iona South Jetty. Chasing down these birds would be a commitment as the end of the jetty is a 4 KM walk from the start. Of course, the sightings were reported closer to the end.

However, today was my lucky day. Just after I was halfway out, a small bird landed right in front of me. It was a Horned Lark. The absence of any dark on the chin indicates a female.


Horned Lark (F) - South Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC - 2017 Bird # 210

These birds are not shy. I remember in Saskatchewan driving on some back roads and almost stepping on the birds as I got out of the car.

Horned Lark (F) - South Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I continued towards the end of the Jetty, no point in turning back after one success. Out in the open water was a large group of Surf Scoters.


Surf Scoter - South Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

It's quite common to see Horned Grebes in salt water in winter anywhere in the Lower Mainland.


Horned Grebe - South Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

The same applies to Common Loons.

Common Loon - South Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

On my way back I encountered the Horned Lark again.

Horned Lark - South Jetty, Iona Regional Park, Richmond BC

I did not see the Snow Buntings but there had been reports from other places and I might get lucky on a  future outing.


No comments:

Post a Comment